Foreign Pilot License Conversion

Note: Visa May Be Required, TSA Registration Not Required

Air America does not issue I-20's

It is very popular for foreign pilots to come to the U.S. to convert their Foreign Pilot License to a FAA Pilot License.  This process is surprisingly easy and Air America Flight Center has years of experience in performing these conversions.  There are three requirements that all foreign pilots must meet to convert their Foreign Pilot License.  They are:

  • You must speak the English language fluently.  Air America does not offer English speaking classes therefore we can only work with foreign pilot who already speak English fluently
  • You must have a green card or a B-1 (Business), B-2 (Tourist), F-1 (Student), J-1 (Exchange Visitor), M-1 (Student) visa or be visiting from one of the 36 countries that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
  • You must be able to hold a third class U.S. medical certificate.

The following can be completed before arriving in the U.S.:

The first step of the Foreign Pilot License conversion process can be completed before you even arrive in the U.S.  It begins with the FAA verifying the authenticity of your Foreign Pilot License.  To do this, you must fill out a verification of authenticity form and then fax it to 405-954-9922 or mail it to:

Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082

At this point the FAA will verify the validity and currency of your Foreign Pilot License.  Once this has been completed (which can take up to one month) the FAA will send a Verification Letter back to you in your home country.  When you arrive in the U.S. and come to Air America you must bring this Verification Letter, Logbook, Foreign Pilot License, Foreign Pilot Medical, Passport and Visa with you.  At this point we assist you in doing the following:

  • Receiving an FAA medical examination (at lease a third class)
  • Receiving an Flight Review Endorsement along with a Aircraft Rental Checkout in the airplane you wish to time build in

Since most foreign countries consider night time as being IFR, most foreign private pilots have zero or little night experience.  With your new Foreign Pilot License you will be legal to fly at night so it might be necessary that you receive adequate night training beyond the requirements of the Aircraft Rental Checkout.

Once these are completed we will schedule an interview with a FAA Designated Examiner to meet you at Air America.  During the interview, the FAA Designated Examiner will have the opportunity to meet you, review your information and verify that you speak English fluently.  If everything is complete and accurate the new FAA Pilot License will be processed.  A practical test is not required.  For this interview you must provide the FAA Designated Examiner the following:

  • Completed a FAA Form 8710 (We will fill this out for you)
  • FAA Designated Examiner Fee (Typically $50.00, Cash Only)
  • Two photocopies of your Passport, Foreign Pilot License, Foreign Medical Certificate and FAA Medical Certificate
  • Logbook

Notes about your new FAA Pilot License:

  • Your new FAA Pilot License is based on your Foreign Pilot License.  This means that you required to carry both copies with you when you fly in the U.S. to be legal.
  • You will be required to register with the TSA to receive flight training to add an Instrument or Multi-Engine Rating to your FAA Pilot License.